Do you get a hum wherever you film inside, or particularly in one
location?  Lots of household/office appliances that we can't hear or
filter out make a big hum when recorded - air con, computers, fridges,
etc.  Try being ruthless about shutting everything off when filming.
Keep different types of cables away from each other, and if you need
to cross them, do so at right angles.
Test whether it's the tape mechanism that's making a lot of noise by
monitoring the audio with a good pair of headphones at a distance from
the camera, both with and without the tape running.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv

On 26 Jan 2010, at 08:38, loretabirkus wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I would like to know how you manage to record a sound with minimum
> hum in a room environment. I have a good microphone that I use for
> my filming, but I always get a huge hum sound if I film inside.
>
> I used Audacity to eliminate the background noise, but sometimes it
> doesn't work and it makes the voice sound weirdly alien :)
>
> I even purchased a new Rode Videomic to see if there's any
> difference in the hum sound volume and I still get it with this mic
> as well.
>
> Any tips how to eliminate as much as possible the hum noise during
> filming so that there's less work during editing? And how to
> eliminate the hum noise and keep a descent quality during the
> editing process?
>
> I'm stuck on this now as I'm trying all ways (Audacity, Adobe
> Audition, Magic Audio cleaning softwares) to remove the noise and I
> don't get the results that I want.
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Loreta

<*> Your email settings: