Now I'm back, I'll briefly add... most video diaries are not the
classic to-camera video diaries that you see characters on TV shows &
films doing - those that are to-camera tend to be somewhere between
being editorial opinions and stand up comedy.  Personal video diaries
online have tended to be more like classic home movies - people
pointing the camera away from them, videoing the people and things
around them, and then cutting them into simple sequences.  Like Jay's
video of his mother's last days, posted in November:
http://momentshowing.net/2009/11/video-sure/

One of my favourite types of video diary has been the videoblog
travelogue as mastered by Ryanne & Jay - just filming moments without
commentary or music and stitching them together - the natural sounds
forming a rhythm:
http://tinyurl.com/ryanne

I have taught videoblogging to teenagers, and most of them were quite
bored by videoblogs and video diaries - even those that I thought were
amazing or funny.  I figured that this was because most video diaries
and blogs are by adults, about adult lives.  This is one of the
reasons Anne Frank is so accessible to young people - she's young.
And one of the reasons why the nightmarish fake video diary of Fred,
which I linked to before, has been so phenomenally popular - he's a
kid.  Ditto the other fictional phenomenon, LonelyGirl15...

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv