I've been using an Xacti HD2 for the past couple years as my main video unit.
It does 'okay' in normal mode, but it has a big button, when pressed, turns on
the High Sensitivity Mode. Other Xacti' I've owned didn't have that feature.
http://blip.tv/file/get/MMMMMoon-CalledMySister216.mov
This clip was shot in our Cabana; basically a shed in the back where we
celebrate being Canadian.
Anyhow, the Cabana in this clip is lite with a couple candles and string of LED
white-blueish lights. There is not enough light to read with. I figured the
lighting might be comparable to scenes your buddy would be shooting.
Anyhow, it's an older model Xacti, has a mic-in and shoots up to HD 720p.

Mike
http://vlog.mikemoon.net