On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Jim Turner <jtur...@onebyonemedia.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> I think another lesson to learn here is also that you can get anyone to get
> your site taken down just by the accusation of impropriety.  If you think
> about the other side of that coin, you can see someone abuse that power as
> well. I am not suggesting that you are in any way rushing to judgment on
> this but i think that is why most people ask that the site be taken down by
> asking the owner and then resorting to a DMCA.  Not that the nuclear option
> is not effective and obviously fast!
>
> Jim Turner

I did email the owner first, giving them the benefit of the doubt that
they may have just copied my site as a temporary template or
something.
But once I realised it was clear deception and they were real-time
leeching and modifying my site for profit, that was it, take-down
notice it was.
I also wanted to stop them from simply pointing their script at
someone else's video blog instead of mine, and the only way to do that
is to have their account suspended.

I don't think it's that easy to get another site taken down just by
accusation. You do have to prove to some human at least at the web
host that they have copied your content. They (I'm hoping) wouldn't
just shut down your site based on an accusation without at least a
cursary comparison between the sites/content in question to make sure
the claim has at least some basis.

BTW, this is the actual host in question:
http://www.pronethosting.net/company/legal/terms-of-service/#cv
They sound quite through and not the trigger happy type.
But I suspect most hosts would err on the side of caution and suspend
the site if there is at least some reasonable evidence of violation.
If there is no evidence however, I'm sure they'd just ignore the
request, or in the case of this host, refer them to the authorities.

Dave.