Just to follow up on my original microphone questions...

I ended up going with two Mics. A Rode Video Mic that attaches to the cold shoe
and inputs dual channel audio (I don't know if it is really stereo or not,
probably not). All of the reviews I read on this Mic said it was awesome so I
expected about half of that, but I was wrong. It is awesome, especially at the
price.  I did one interview with the camera and mic on a tripod about three
feet away while I and the interviewee sat on a couch in a noisy hotel lobby,
The mic got minimal background noise and both of our voices are very clear. I
am very impressed.

As a bonus for me anyway, since it is larger than my camera, it makes the
camera look a little more professional and people don't look at me like I am
just some dweeb with a camera.

As for the original question about hand held Mics I was in a hurry and didn't
have much budget so I opted for the Radio Shack $25 Mic with the build in 1/4
cable. I added an 1/8 adapter and plugged it into the camera. I covered the mic
with a $5 pop filter and did my interviews that way. All of them came out
great, even when I didn't have the mic very close to the interviewees mouth the
sound was still more than acceptable.  It only records in mono but I was able
to copy the left channel to the right side without to much trouble in FCE. I'm
sure you audiophiles are aghast that I used a RatShack microphone instead of
some $200 thing but it works for me with what I'm doing. I'm happy with it.

I made a home made Mic flag for it that came out pretty well. So between the
MIc flag, the Rode Mic and the tripod I think I made quite the impression. I
had a few people ask me what TV station I was recording for!

I did discover that I need a lighting solution, but I'll make new post for that
question.  Thanks everyone for your input!  This is a great list!

- C. Thomas