Very cool.

Reminds me to get back in touch with Verdi about adding a new project to
videobloggers.org where people submit ONLY ogg theora videos... as a way to
educate about open video, html5 and software options to output to ogg.

Sull

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:33 PM, ratbagradio <ratbagra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A word fromk MIRO:
>
> Today we're launching a project with the Open Video Alliance to promote
> video in Wikipedia articles. It's called:
>
> Let's Get Video on Wikipedia!
> http://www.videoonwikipedia.org/
> This is a concept that I had thinking about and trying to nudge towards
> reality for a long time; I'm thrilled that we're finally there. There's a
> bunch of interesting aspects, but perhaps the heart of it is a chance to
> bring open video to mainstream users and strike a blow for freedom.
>
> Wikipedia is the most popular site in the world that posts video
> exclusively in open formats (specifically, theora). The steadfast commitment
> that the Wikimedia Foundation has to open information, tools, and formats,
> is amazing. They truly put their values first.
>
> By encouraging more people to post videos in Wikipedia articles, we can
> bring theora video played in html5 to a very large audience. Currently,
> there are very few wikipedia articles that have videos (here's one that
> does: Polar Bear). We hope that this campaign will bring thousands more to
> the site and show people how great theora can be. HTML 5 video, which plays
> without Flash, is a wonderful step towards a more open web– but if it
> depends on proprietary codecs like h.264, we will still be stuck with a
> gatekeeper for online video.
>
> What else makes this a great campaign?
>
> 1. Having a video in a Wikipedia article can bring topics to life in a way
> that photos and text alone can't do. It's an incredibly engaging medium.
> Think about the difference between reading about a cheetah's top speed and
> actually seeing it run.
>
> 2. We've worked hard with folks at Wikipedia to simplify the process of
> posting video to Wikipedia and we've got it down to 5 pretty simple steps.
> So now, for the first time in a truly human-usable form, here is: how to
> post a video to Wikipedia.
>
> 3. Shhhhh. If you look around that site, you'll notice a reference to a new
> Miro product that is in a usable beta form but not quite ready for a full
> launch. Look for a launch announcement very soon.
>
> 4. If you watch a video on a Wikipedia article but you aren't on a browser
> like Firefox or Chrome, it will play in a Java player (it's pretty awkward)
> but it will also point you to Firefox, so that you can get a better browser.
> Another win for openness!
>
> 5. We've created a nice gallery of videos that are being submitted to
> Wikipedia in a Wikipedia Miro Community site so you can see what people are
> posting.
>
> There's a lot more to come from this campaign, so make sure to follow Open
> Video Alliance on twitter and become a fan of the project on facebook.
>
> http://feeds.getmiro.com/~r/miroblog/~3/-hhNFp5JYjc/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: