I second that, it is shady indeed.

I never got into the Ning frenzy, looks like my hunch was right... :)



--- In [email protected], Jay dedman <jay.ded...@...> wrote:
>
> Ning has decided to cancel their free accounts:
> http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/15/nings-bubble-bursts-no-more-free-networks-cuts-40-of-staff/
> 
> "Ning has just announced that it is killing off its free product, forcing
> existing free networks to either make the change to premium accounts or
> migrate their networks elsewhere.
> While the email talks about Free versus Premium paid networks, Ning actually
> has a variety of different premium upgrades. Currently, Ning's premium
> options include support (which has a $10/month and $100/month options for
> different service levels); Custom domains ($5 a month); Extra storage and
> bandwidth ($10 a month); Ad removal ($25 a month) and the ability to hide
> any trace that you're running on Ning ($25 a month)."
> 
> We had some long discussions several years ago when videobloggers started
> using Ning to make communities to complement their videoblog. (example
> http://mix.epicfu.com/ which is a nicely designed Ning site). We were asking
> if it was smart to invest so much time archiving and building a community on
> a site you dont own.
> 
> When we did the http://semanal.org/ project in 2008...I know we debated
> between using Ning or hack Wordpress for this group project. Glad we decided
> to hack.
> 
> I think useful services are smart to charge. I know I pay a yearly fee to
> Flickr.com because I love their service. Blip.tv would be another service
> that seems worth a fee. But I feel it's really shady when services start
> free...suck you in...then either force you to pay or dump you.
> 
> Jay
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> http://ryanishungry.com
> http://twitter.com/jaydedman
> 917 371 6790
> 
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>


Reply via email to