Couple of comments...

If you are going to do actual editing on an external drive you will probably
need to go with Firewire800 and or SATA. USB will unlikely be fast enough. Also
get a fast drive, 7200RPM or faster.

Some people don't like Lacie or OWC or whoever, neither of whom actually make
hard drives. If you have a drive failure and it wasn't the power supply or the
controller then it wasn't Lacie's or OWC fault. I use dozens of Lacie Quadra
drives at my office, I use them exclusively and have not had one fail in almost
three years. Of course your mileage may vary.

For editing on my MacBook Pro I use this

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=10055890&cac=Result

It is awesome, triple interface (USB FW400, FW800), 7200RPM, bus powered. It is
great because it is portable and fast. I don't need an extra power supply when
I am on the move. When I am home I can daisy chain a FW400 drive off the back
when needed. There are several different versions of this, just make sure to
find the 7200RPM one.

- C. Thomas