David Jones: "...I'm convinced it's possible to win the Cannes film festival
with 500 bucks worth of gear and a crap load of talent and time."

Actually you're not too far off, David (probably right on the money). In
fact many feature films have been shot with the Canon XL1/2; Trainspoting
(24 mil gross), 28 Days Later (82.7 mil gross), etc. The XL1/2s being camera
systems costing under $5 grand, compared to the likes of Arriflex at upwards
of $50k or more (depending on lenses/new or used, etc.).

Personally I haven't found spending greater dollars on equipment has always
improved production quality, but pricey gear certainly does make the task of
acquiring optimum stock much (much) easier to capture. (Besides; because I
lack talent, I need the help! :)

Again, gear costs truly depend on one's purpose and objectives -- IMHO.

Mark Villaseñor,
http://www.TailTrex.tv
Canine Adventures For Charity - sm
http://www.SOAR508.org