Wow...

I wonder if this is the same discussion that stared today on the Digital
Copyright discussion list:

> We have had several professors request our media services to make DVD
> copie= s of VHS tapes that either belong to the university library or to
> their own private collection. Our librarians are searching for DVD
> copies of the VHS tapes that are in the library=B9s collection and they
> even research for video= s from faculty private collection. When the DVD
> version cannot be found, the faculty come to us.
>
> What would your recommendations be =AD could we claim Fair Use and make
> one DVD copy for classroom use? What about the professor who gets a VHS
> from Interlibrary Loan? I know we won=B9t do videos from Blockbuster,
> etc.

<snark> I've removed the name and institution to protect the clueless </snark>

I replied, citing 108, saying that VHS is not obsolete (on it's last legs, but
not obsolete) and referencing the limitation on use outside the Library.

--
deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Arizona State University at the West campus