From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 2:30 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Institutional Version of Film Pane Amaro/Bitter Bread

Let us know if you get a response and Dennis will be sending you a bill for his
legal advice.
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Chris McNevins
<chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu<mailto:chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu>> wrote:
Dear Mr. Norelli,

While I understand that the library does not have the right to publicly screen
this DVD with or without an admission fee, US Copyright Title 17 does allow for
library and classroom use:

See: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#110
ยง 110. Limitations on exclusive rights: Exemption of certain performances and
displays43<http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#1-43>
Notwithstanding the provisions of section
106,<http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#106> the following are not
infringements of copyright:

(1) performance or display of a work by instructors or pupils in the course of
face-to-face teaching activities of a nonprofit educational institution, in a
classroom or similar place devoted to instruction.
If and when there is an occasion on campus where this DVD will be shown in a
manner that merits public performance rights the library will make every effort
to contact you for permission.

With kind regards,

Chris McNevins
Acquisitions Coordinator
University of Connecticut
Homer Babbidge Library
Collections Services
Acquisitions-Financial Services-Statistics Team
369 Fairfield Way Unit 2005AM
Storrs, CT 06269-2005
ph: 860-486-3842
fax: 860-486-6493