From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of
ghand...@library.berkeley.edu
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:36 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Is an educational use a transformative use.

I think you've misinterpreted Larry's question and intent.

First, I think it's a critical mistake to confuse the face-to-face
teaching exemption of the copyright law and the broader concept of fair
use.

The former simply allows the "display" (i.e. screening) of a copyrighted
work in the service of classroom teaching without having to secure the
permission of the copyright holder.  This has nothing to do with the
broader concept of fair use, which makes allowances for using portions of
copyrighted works (without permission) in various contexts, educational,
intellectual, cultural.

One type of fair use allowance is for the "transformative" use of
copyrighted works:  i.e. the use of copyrighted material to create new and
unique intellectual property...for example, to use a film clip in a
remixed video...or to incorporate a portion of a jazz sound recording in a
web site devoted to teaching African American history.

One current argument (by some academics and academic institutions)has it
that the digital encoding and/or streaming of an ENTIRE video (without
license) for use in a specific academic class is allowable under the broad
provisions of fair use...some of these arguments are based on the
contention that such encoding/streaming and academic use of video is in
itself "transformative", and therefor allowable under the banner of fair
use.

Gary Handman

> Larry wrote:
>
> "I'd like the list to answer a simple question: does your institution
> consider any educational use of copyrighted material, in whole or in part,
> ipso facto a transformative use and therefore a fair use?"
>

> This seems like goofy rhetoric to me. Or am I way off base?
> Fair use involves the use of part or parts of the original item.
> Educational use is defined in law as use in face-to-face teaching. It has
> more latitude than fair use, right? E.g. you could indeed show a video of
> a Shakespeare play to your Shakespeare class, or a film explaining cell
> division to your bio class. What you can't do is announce a public free
> showing, however culturally enriching, as "educational" under the law.
> Transformative use is something I have not thought about much but I assume
> it has to do with artistic/critical use of existing materials. It would
> cover such uses as "sampling" audio tracks to make new songs or
> incorporating existing media into a "video poem." Is that right?
>
> Looking at a Wikipedia article, I see that the criterion is "whether the
> new work merely supersedes the objects of the original creation" or
> changes it. If it does, it is not fair use. Certainly an unauthorized
> digitial version of an entire work is infringing in that it is intended to
> completely replace/supersede the use of the legal hard copy.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformation_%28law%29
>
> Judy

Director
Media Resources Center