After looking at this Ultraviolet, one impact I can see is that if we as a
library buy something physical by one of the partners in this UV group, then we
also have access to a digital copy that we can play on a digital devise, so, it
can in fact double the usable copies in the collection, if a student has a
video checked out, we can offer to some one else who wants to watch it via a
device in the library that digital copy.  Have a few iPads (If Apple ever signs
on) or some similar device to check out.  It could be helpful in the case of
high demand items.
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Services Supervisor
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA  98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

Transitus profusum est nocens!

>>> <ghand...@library.berkeley.edu> 7/21/2010 8:07 AM >>>
Not harsh...sensible.

gary

> Sorry, Rick, that did sound harsh, I suppose.  I guess I just think that
> it tends to work better for teachers/professors when specific needs are
> met with specific titles, rather than when an institution or consortium
> buys a huge catalog of ready-made stuff that they're then told they should
> pick from.  I'm sorry if that sounds snobbish.
>
> Susan

Director
Media Resources Center
Moffitt Library