As a practical matter Swank really can't license for more than one academic
year. This is what I have been trying to explain re studio product. I think
is is very unlikely they will ever allow Swank, Criterion Pictures ( Fox
films) or even themselves to license for more than a year. Anything is
possible but I would not hold my breath. Similarly most independent and
foreign films are likely to be able to license for say 1-7 years because 7
years is the standard contract term though some go up to 10 or more, however
the clock starts ticking when the contract is signed so a film released in
2005 is likely only to have 2 years of licensing life left. In many cases
these films are renewed, but in many cases they are not and a whole lot of
companies go out of business these days leaving a lot of films in limbo.

The Swank scenario may be more restrictive in terms of use than some, but
for fiction feature films, most are going to be time limited and few
available in perpetuity unless it is put into new contracts from now on and
again I would not hold my breath for that.

Jessica