I see no problem with showing it in class, but I am nearly certain you are
not legally allowed to copy it. Perhaps students who miss class or want to
see it again could pool their resources and do a 2nd streaming. Have you
been able to contact Atlas media directly? Jo Anne is correct that it the
iTunes use may depend on the exact wording because a rights holder can
restrict use by contract.

Also a pet peeve. It is the "face to face" teaching exemption in copyright
law which allows you to use any legally obtained video in a class. The short
version of
"Fair Use" is that allows you to use a portion of an otherwise copyrighted
work in creating a new work so using clips or images from films in a
lecture, student project etc ( I am not limiting to that but those are the
most basic examples).

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:55 AM, <matthew.wri...@unlv.edu> wrote:

> I apologize if this question has been asked before; I am new to this list.
>

> We have a professor that wants her students to watch a video.  Its possible
> that she will show it in class, but its also possible she will ask each of
> them to watch it outside of class.
>
> The title is:   Robert Blecker Wants Me Dead.
>
> She asked the library to purchase a DVD or maybe a few copies.  I have
> tried and its not available in this format (not from Amazon, the film home
> page, robertbleckerwantsmedead.com, not from the distributor, Atlas
> Media).  I contacted the distributor and they said they had no intention of
> putting the film on DVD but only marketing it through iTunes.  It is
> available on iTunes for $7.99.
>
> I am curious how other libraries have handled situations where the only
> source of a film is iTunes.  If she decided to show it to the class, I don't
> see it as a major problem because I think fair use would allow it to be
> shown in class and we would buy one copy for her iTunes account and she
> could show it from her laptop in class (and they are not marketing it with
> public performance rights anyway).  But what about students who miss class?
>  Or if she decides to have each student view it outside of class.  You
> cannot share files on iTunes with other users.  Its not like a link that can
> be sent among the student body.  And, what if other students or professors
> want to watch it but have the library pay?  It really is a compelling film
> if you are interested in the death penalty.
>
> I am told there are programs that will allow you take stuff on iTunes and
> convert it to DVD but its probably of questionable legality and also time
> consuming for my staff.   I am disappointed in Atlas Media for not marketing
> this as a DVD.
>
> Any advice appreciate,
> Matthew
>

> Matthew Wright
> Head of Collection Development and Instructional Services
> William S. Boyd School of Law
> University of Nevada Las Vegas
> 4505 Maryland Parkway, Box 451080
> Las Vegas, NV 89154-1080