From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Brewer, Michael
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:46 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] DCMA exemption question

Exactly.  The DMCA thing is not part of TEACH.  But now it is legal to break
encryption for particular purposes, and the use would be covered by TEACH. The
amount does not have to be fair (thought it probably would be), just comply
with TEACH parameters. TEACH parameters are vague, but they are different than
what one would consider for fair use.  For example, one does not need to be
concerned at all with effect or nature for TEACH as long as the other
parameters are met.  Just with the amount being appropriate to the pedagogical
goal and "reasonable and limited."

Michael Brewer
Team Leader for Instructional Services
University of Arizona Libraries