Dennis, the studios have to do a good job at making available their past
considering the slate of films that seem to be on their future.
regards jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Services Supervisor
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA  98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

Transitus profusum est nocens!

>>> Dennis Doros <milefi...@gmail.com> 2/1/2011 6:12 PM >>>
Sony has been working on this for some time and I believe the masters will be
of very good quality knowing the work their archivists have done over the past
decade.

Fox is also starting their own:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/homeentertainment/la-et-dvd-vintage-20101214,0,3289441.story
 (
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/homeentertainment/la-et-dvd-vintage-20101214,0,3289441.story
 )

I'm guessing this is all prelude to streaming everything on line, but whatever
it is, it's pretty amazing for the consumer.

For all the complaints about the studios (and I was just kidding my friend at
Disney), they are doing a pretty good job of making available their past.

Best,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
email: milefi...@gmail.com

AMIA Austin 2011: www.amianet.org ( http://www.amianet.org/ )
Join "Milestone Film" on Facebook!

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Deg Farrelly
<deg.farre...@asu.edu>

wrote:

This list has mentioned in the past the Warner Archive. This teaser from
"Cineaste" magazine today lead me to a comparable service from Sony for
Columbia films.

<Coming Soon: "Selections from the Archives"

Our Web-exclusive content expands in Spring with the addition of a new review
section spotlighting manufactured-on-demand (MOD) discs from the Warner
Archive, Sony's Screen Classics by Request, and other programs emptying
Hollywood's vaults of hidden gems and intriguing curios. >

I didn't see too much that I was immediately interested in (about 125 titles
right now) until I saw "Storm Center" - Bette Davis as head of a public library
who refuses to remove a book on communism from the collection. I've been
looking for the film, just for the fun of seeing it, for about 2 years. (The
Film & Media Studies program at ASU has a 16mm print in its private
collection). I promptly ordered a copy.

It will be interesting to see how this service plays out and what other
programs Cineaste will highlight in the Spring issue!

Here are the links:

Sony:
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/columbiaclassics/screen-classics-by-request/

Warner archive: