From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Karen Ketchaver
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:41 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] "Educational PPR"

List members,

I noted this today on a vendor website:

"Educational Public Performance Rights (PPR) allow for screening IN A CLASSROOM
SETTING ONLY for matriculated students in any not-for-profit institution  -
universities, museums, galleries, libraries, microcinemas, community centers,
or educational institutions, in an educational context."

This assertion seems to contradict what U.S. Copyright Title 17 states
regarding library and classroom use ("performance or display of work by
instructors or pupils in the course of face-to-face teaching activities of a
nonprofit educational institution, in a classroom or similar place devoted to
instruction").

I know that this topic has been well discussed on the list, but "educational
public performance rights" was a new wrinkle for me.

Thanks,

Karen G. Ketchaver
Acquisitions Unit Leader
Grasselli Library