From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Corbett, Lauren E.
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 3:34 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Cc: Lock, Mary B.; Reeves, Mary W.
Subject: [Videolib] practical processes with open shelving for DVDs?

Hello Video Librarians!

I just joined this list to post on a couple of topics I'm working on here at
Wake Forest.  First question is, do any of you operate with open shelving of
your DVDs?  We already have thought through pros and cons of having the open
shelving, so we're looking for practical help rather than opinions for/against
open shelving.

We're planning to move our DVD collection from closed shelving behind the
Circulation Desk to open shelves in a controlled room and we're looking for
examples to follow.   We'd like some information to help us decide about how to
organize in presenting the collection - right now we just have accession
numbers, but we think some type of categorization would be more useful to
patrons.  And of course that leads to a question of re-classing from accession
numbering.  You get the idea.

Any feedback on practical arrangements from those operating with open shelves?

Thanks,
Lauren

[cid:086385114@22072009-1A03]

Lauren Corbett
Director of Resource Services, Z. Smith Reynolds Library
Ph: 336-758-6136

<<inline: image001.gif>>