Although I agree with Gary about not wanting to give up collection development
decisions wholesale, I decided best thing to do about streamed video was to
jump in big, so we're starting with some of the Alexander Street dbs.
Packages were selected based on: anticipated interest and therefore likely
usage, recognized content, average cost of the included titles if we were to
buy the DVDs, how many of those titles would we purchase if money were no
option, and a magic 8 ball.

The option to purchase collections got me further than the subscription options
because we have a pot of one-time soft money.
I was up front that the break-even on purchase vs subscription is about 8
years. (Annual maintenance fees magically don't count.) I find this division a
bit outdated, but figure I might as well milk it to benefit the collection.

Now I'm working my way through getting approvals to purchase licenses from the
other main vendors that we buy from, not because I necessarily want to buy
streamed video from them yet, but so that it will make it easy for me to
quickly license individual titles when the need arises.

Barb Bergman | Media Services & Interlibrary Loan Librarian | Minnesota State
University, Mankato | (507) 389-5945 | barbara.berg...@mnsu.edu