From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Steffen, James M
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:02 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] african film query

Dear Jennifer,

I suggest directing the faculty member to WorldCat. She should try searching
under the LC subject heading "Motion pictures -- Mali" and limiting the format
to "visual materials." There may be enough of a plot synopsis in the records to
identify it, assuming that any libraries do indeed hold the film she is looking
for.

The subject heading "Motion Pictures -- Mali" will also pull up books about the
cinema from that country.

FIAF International Index to Film Periodicals indexes Variety film reviews back
to 1974--that might be another place to look. The faculty member might try
searching "Mali" as a keyword and limiting the publication to "Variety."

She could also try EBSCOhost's Film and Television Literature Index, but I
*don't* recommend using their Variety film review module--it has literally
hundreds of incorrect dates and is also missing many reviews. I've cancelled
our library's subscription to that database until the problems are fixed. The
database's main citation index works fine, but unfortunately it doesn't index
Variety before the 1990s--as far as I know.

Best,
James

--
James M. Steffen, PhD