*Begin Soapbox*

Personally, I think some filmmakers/producers need Business 101,
Marketing 101, and Economics 101 if they want to make a living. This is
the simplest issue of supply and demand...they don't even have to go to
college, they can go to WalMart, or Target, or Sears, or any store out
there, and I'm fairly sure they do since they need to eat. If the price
is right, and ***there is an identified need (read demand)***, the
product will sell. Otherwise it won't. Tell me who needs this film -
what subjects it is appropriate for, and WHY - and if it fits in my
institutions' areas of study, and I can afford it, I will buy it.  I
will NOT buy something just because it won a bunch of awards, or because
it cost so much to produce - that is the filmmaker's risk, not mine.

And our copyright scholar says NEVER, EVER pay extra for something that
is covered under TEACH or copyright. When you do, you are building their
case for them, which could come back to bite you in the future. Because
I like them and want to support a filmmaker is no reason to give up my
rights.

*End Soapbox*

Jennifer Foster

Media Librarian

Victoria College/University of Houston-Victoria Library

http://vcuhvlibrary.uhv.edu

Gary,

> Thanks for speaking on behalf of us librarians.

> I wish there were a way to educate filmmakers and film distributors
about not only the legalities, but also the realities, of pricing for
the library market.

> It's simple accounting: libraries can make more films accessible to
their patrons if the cost of the videos is low.  If the cost is high,
our budgets will accommodate far fewer purchases. So if a video is
expensive, it better be a stand out.

> It's also a matter of what the market will bear.  If libraries
continue to pay $250 for a dvd instead of $29, why wouldn't sellers ask
us for the higher price?

> And, yes, I've heard the song about filmmakers and distributors having
to make a living, but don't we all?  Libraries shouldn't be responsible
for subsidizing vendors; making resources available to our patrons is
what we're about.