From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of
ghand...@library.berkeley.edu
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:31 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Lest you think I've been overly dramatic...

Hi all

I realize that I keep beating my breast about the bad budget situation in
California...  The California Digital Library just came out with the
following PR crib sheet:

I am enormously grateful I'm in the twilight rather than the sunrise of my
career...

Gary Handman

·The proposed state budget calls for a $500 million cut in university
support next year.

·There is a real possibility that UC could see an even bigger cut in
state funding if California closes the entire $26.6 billion state
deficit through budget cuts.

·The collective UC Libraries materials budget is currently at or below
2001 levels (before adjusting  for inflation)

·While the future cannot be predicted with certainty, budget declines of
20% or more are being forecast at most campuses over the next several years

·UC Libraries will continue to manage their acquisitions and licensing
portfolios very carefully in light of these ongoing budget challenges

Gary Handman
Director
Media Resources Center
Moffitt Library