From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Maloy, Vicky
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:41 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] The case of the disappearing VHS players

Oh help!  Help, help, help!

I have just attended a meeting at which it was mentioned in an off-handed
remark that every VHS player in our campus classrooms will be removed over the
summer.

When I objected, and asked if there was any money being set aside to pay for
the copyright permissions to convert our library's holdings, the VP of Finance
said, "Why don't you give me a number."

SO.

Is there such a thing as a blanket license to convert commercially made VHS
tapes to DVD for a non-profit institutional use?   (Don't laugh at me, I just
have to ask.)

Does anyone have experience they can share with me - off list, if you prefer -
in stopping/surviving this madness, or shall I just scavenge all the players I
can find and store them in the library for the foreseeable future?

I've searched the list archives, but the "digitizing - procedural question"
thread, while helpful, doesn't say where to start securing permission or with
whom, for a conversion.

Thanks for your time and knowledge,
Vicky