Gary,
I am a fan of some sports but I have not seen these docs.  I knew about them
and for some reason I felt that I should get them for my library's collection.
You have just given me the final push on them and next fiscal year I am getting
these.  Goes to show the power of the moving image.
thanks
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Services Supervisor
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA  98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

Transitus profusum est nocens!

>>> <ghand...@library.berkeley.edu> 5/17/2011 9:41 AM >>>
Hi All

It's a weirdly rainy Tuesday here, and I'm listless...so I thought I'd
share an amusing (for me)flash of cinematic illumination I had recently.

I've been a juror for the New York Film Festival for the past 10 or 12
years.  Up until the last few years, I was just a name on the masthead
(not wanting to shell out for a trip to NY each Fall).  Recently, however,
the judging has gone online...a really fun thing to do.  Somehow I got
slotted in a strange mishmash jury category:  ads, PSAs, tourism and
industrial promos, industrial films, and the odd doc.

Here's where the illumination comes in:  The group I've judged over the
past few years has included a number of ESPN documentaries.  Now I gotta
tell you:  you could search high and low, far and wide on this planet and
not find anyone LESS interested in or informed about sports than I. (I've
been at UCB for close to 34 years and have never attended a game and I
just learned recently that the San Jose Sharks are a hockey team)...does
that tell you something?) Nonetheless, I watched.

Well, I was blown away.  Some of these films were made by big names:
"Muhammad and Larry" by Al Maysles;  "The Band That Wouldn't Die", by
Barry Levinson; "Kings Ransom:, by Peter Berg; "The Lost Son of Havana" by
the Farrelly Brothers; "No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson", by
Steve James.  Others made by folks I haven't heard of.  In all cases, I
was absolutely enthralled by the high drama and skillful
storytelling...really amazing stuff.  Which just goes to show that in
competent hands, almost anything that goes on in the world can be revealed
to be worth filming and watching.

The good news is that I just discovered that most of the stuff I watched
(and more) is available on home video DVD: ESPN Films: 30 for 30.

Check it out.

gary

Gary Handman
Director