From: "Dennis Doros" <milefi...@gmail.com>
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:23:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Conversion of 8mm. 16mm, beta and 3/4" umatic titles

Dear Jeanne,

Technically, the second provision is that the original materials must be
endangered, but there's really several other questions involved.

1) What is the nature of the material? Is it educational or feature films? Or
is it of a local-based nature?

2) And wearing my AMIA hat (Association of Moving Image Archivists)... Are they
singular and unique? If they are one-of-a-kind, to throw out the materials
after duping is an "original" sin. If they are of local origin, they should be
kept either by the university or local historical societies. DVDs are not
permanent. One scratch on the disc and the film or video can be gone forever.
I've just experienced a tragic example of this from one of my producers where
they threw out an original film negative because they have a digibeta master.
Another example is the New York Public Library whose 16mm prints that they
purchased years ago are now are the only copies of important films in
existence.

3) Are those films available in the same format you have but just not on VHS or
DVD?

And if they are feature films, you'd probably need to do another sweep. There
is an incredible amount of films being released each year. The quality would be
greatly superior and the cost is pretty negligible. If they're educational
films, as Gary points out, sadly there's less and less available from back
catalogs and preserving them properly can certainly be a mitzvah.

Best regards,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128