Well as Dennis pointed out "theft" is the legal term for violating a rights
holders copyright and UCLA hiding beyond "sovereign immunity" does not make
it less so.
However it is not people on the list I think are thieves, I think you are
all in a very tough position between academics who truly do not give a rat's
ass about copyright, administrations which want to save money and filmmakers
whom you genuinely support. It is tough place to be, but not as tough as the
independent distributors and filmmakers who see their work being stolen by
people who either hide it ( at least UCLA was forced to admit they streamed
whole films) or use high priced lawyers and technicalities to avoid being
held liable while simultaneously painting rights holders as greedy, wealthy
companies who don't care about their works and are picking on poor innocent
academics. ( Ever read the comments sections of the academic journals
covering this case?).

I know I rant A LOT on this subject, but  it goes to the heart of business I
love which it is killing and I think nearly everyone here knows it is both
illegal and unethical to stream an entire film without obtaining the rights.
I know I have mentioned this again and again but beyond losing their
livelihood what hurts distributors and filmmakers most is that they believed
the academic community was their friend and supporter and not the instrument
of their destruction and I have spoken to enough of them to know this is not
an exaggeration.

OK I am done. Back to work if I can sell anything these days.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Ball, James (jmb4aw) <
jmb...@eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:

> Thank you for this expression Roger.  Although I don't imagine most of us
> are thieving academics, being referred to as such doesn't do much for
> maintaining a civil discourse between two parties that clearly rely on each
> other.  Keeping the vitriol and rancor at bay would probably serve us all
> well.
>
> Matt

> Matt Ball
> Media and Collections Librarian