This may be a solution, if rather than getting new cabinets we re-package into small and thin cases.

O.

At 08:52 AM 02/06/2011, you wrote:

boundary="_000_EB1E4106A574F649AEED38D97D0273BC66690E70Ex2010Mailstore_"

Tom, we also elected to remove discs from their cases so that we could have better theft protection while still keeping the original DVD cases out in the stacks for browsing. We simply invested in a sturdy, multi-drawer cabinet which holds inexpensive slim disc cases like these: <http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24943&catid=800>http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24943&catid=800 . The original DVD cases have a label inside with the disc number, which is also written on the center ring label on the disc itself and added to the record during cataloging. It’s low-tech but has worked beautifully for us.

Susan at Wabash

From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu [mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Clifford, Tom
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 8:27 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] disc storage devices

We’ve been using the Imation Stakka disc storage devices for storing our circulating DVDs, and they are a constant headache. It seems they’re not really capable of handling the volume of use they get here. On reading customer reviews of other comparable devices, it looks like they all have the same issues when put to that kind of use. Our space is very limited, so we need to find an alternative besides having every DVD on the shelf in its case. I’m interested in any solutions list members have found­high or low tech.
Thanks in advance!

Tom Clifford
Sr. Library Assistant
Multimedia Center