Apologies for the spamming, but this got buried in the thread on post.  I am
interested to hear folks take on this, and it appears Jessica reached a
similar conclusion at the same time:

Just a thought experiment here...

I understand that smaller distributors do not want to devalue their
collections by cherry picking individual titles for substantially lowered
costs and am sensitive to Jessica's claim that lowering prices would not
necessarily make up for lost sales in terms of volume.   You gotta give us
video librarians a fighting chance.  Challenging times call for creative
solutions.  So I propose we crowd source this thing...in the spirit of
Elizabeth Stanley, we need a Groupon/Social Living service for
Indies/educational media.

Picture it: for one day (or week) only, The Strange Disappearance of Bees is
$200 or The Big Sellout is $100 (PPR negotiated separately if needed).
Let's say price predicated on collective volume sales of at least 50 units,
offer ends at 500 takers.  Only 5 titles can go up at any given point, and
only once a year.  Open to all filmmakers/distributors targeting the
academic market (with a small percentage of sales recouped for promotion and
maintenance).

Thoughts?

-Scott

--
Scott Spicer
Media Outreach and Learning Spaces Librarian