*Our fair use book is finally out! *

For years, Peter Jaszi and I have been working on a book that synthesizes our
experience with fair use, which many people in the Center for Social Media
network contributed to, by helping us learn how communities of
practice useand improve their
use of this valuable right. Thank you!

The University of Chicago Press has just sent me my first copies of
Reclaiming Fair Use: How to Put Balance Back in
Copyright<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcenterforsocialmedia.org%2Freclaiming>.
It's hard to believe it's finally here.

We argue in the book that a vibrant culture needs vigorous and confident
employment of fair use, which is the right to use copyrighted material
without permission or payment in some circumstances. In doing so, we're also
challenging an all-too-common misconception that current copyright law has
become unworkable and obsolete in the era of digital technologies. We expect
controversy, and have already had a peek at
it<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcenterforsocialmedia.org%2Fblog%2Ffair-use%2Fchronicle-higher-ed-showcases-fair-use-debate-breaks-out>
.
 We worked to make the book short, low-priced and accessible to all kinds of
creators. It's got quizzes and stories and examples of successful fair use.
We're eager to get your feedback, as always, at socialme...@american.edu

                Sincerely,
                         Pat Aufderheide

*
**Please forward this to any and all who might be interested.*

--
Pat Aufderheide, University Professor and Director
Center for Social Media, School of Communication

[image: Reclaiming Fair Use 9.13.11.jpg]Order *Reclaiming Fair Use: How to
Put Balance Back in Copyright*, with Peter Jaszi. University of Chicago
Press,
2011<http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_tl?ie=UTF8&keywords=reclaiming%20fair%20use&tag=centerforsoci-20&index=aps&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=932>.

Sample *Reclaiming Fair Use! * <http://centerforsocialmedia.org/reclaiming>

Early comments on *Reclaiming Fair Use:*

"The Supreme Court has told us that fair use is one of the "traditional
safeguards" of the First Amendment.  As this book makes abundantly clear,
nobody has done better work making sure that safeguard is actually effective
than Aufderheide and Jaszi.  The day we have a First Amendment Hall of Fame,
their names should be there engraved in stone.  --Lewis Hyde, author, *Common
as Air: Revolution, Art and Ownership*

“*Reclaiming Fair Use* will be an important and widely read book that
scholars of copyright law will find a ‘must have’ for their bookshelves. It
is a sound interpretation of the law and offers useful guidance to the
creative community that goes beyond what some of the most ideological books
about copyright tend to say.”—Pamela Samuelson, University of California,
Berkeley School of Law

"If you only read one book about copyright this year, read *Reclaiming Fair
Use.  *It is the definitive history of the cataclysmic change in the custom
and practice surrounding the  fair use of materials  by filmmakers and other
groups."  --Michael Donaldson, Esq. Senior Partner, Donaldson & Callif, Los
Angeles.

<<Reclaiming Fair Use 9.13.11.jpg>>