Jessica, you say

... a Harvard student and "open access" activists who stole tens of thousands
of  articles from JSTOR ( never heard of it before myself) a subscription
service for academic papers because he felt they were too expensive. I
certainly don't know the position of you or Mr. Jaszi, but the student has
received much support from academics and people who believed in essence they
should not have to pay for that material so per above could you give me your
opinion on this case as well as the questions above.

In this case, those horrible people who think bread should be free belong to
the baker's guild.
The academics who protest the prosecution of the pirate are the AUTHORS of the
articles he downloaded. Academic authors make no royalties at all ($.00) from
their journal publications, which is what JSTOR provides to libraries in
digitized, searchable formats. Professor X's university library pays to
subscribe to the journals in which Professor X publishes her articles.
Nearly all academics have access to the material themselves because most
libraries subscribe. In fact, JSTOR provides free access in places like Africa
which need access but can't afford it. JSTOR itself did not want to prosecute
Swartz for his theft.  See
http://about.jstor.org/news-events/news/jstor-statement-misuse-incident-and-criminal-case
Academics not only give their work away free to journals but also spend
hundreds of hours editing said journals (including selecting and copyediting
and proofreading, but also reading articles to decide whether they are worth
publication, and in some cases writing evaluations) in order to produce
peer-edited journals. Sometimes they get a grant to buy equipment for this
purpose or to pay for a grad student to proofread; a few get salaries;
sometimes it is all volunteer. Academic publishers are typically non-profit and
any profits are used as subventions for journals or books which don't support
themselves.
I know this won't affect your loathing of universities and our education system
but it might affect your arguments.
Obviously, there is a difference between academic journals and Hollywood films.
I'm less certain about documentaries; if there were a way to pull them back
from the profit motive they might find it easier to defend themselves from
predatory licensing fees for material that ought to be fair use.
Judy Shoaf