OK I know this seems like the world turned upside down in terms of my saying
the law would still permit both sale and loan of the material. There are two
key bits here, one is that you are buying the item DIRECTLY from the source
( at least in my view) you are NOT importing it for resale. Inter library
loan is not a sale. The way you are interpreting this it would be illegal
for a person to buy a copy of book or DVD from any Amazon site overseas and
loan it to a friend. Right of first sale is what allows something to be
RESOLD, I don't anywhere that it would limit a loan or library circulation.

I also don't see where it would encourage publishers or studios to produce
material overseas. I think that is way too literal. If Sony or Random House
has the copies that they sell IN THE US, made in Mexico it would  not make
them no longer available to be resold. The issue here and in Cosco involved
third party sales.

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant
224-545-3897 (cell)