Well technically here the hitch would be that to the best of my knowledge
there never was a legal release of the film even in VHS in the US so I am
pretty sure you would be copying a bootleg copy even if you don't realize
it. Can someone tell me what OCLC says on in terms of original distributor.
This may be dancing on the head of a pin in that the DVD could have been
released prior to GATT so the copy could presumably be kept but as it is now
illegal I doubt you could legally copy it.
Fun stuff.

As a more practical matter I would bet this VHS is very poor quality and
possibly not complete as there has been a recent restoration. I have no idea
why an academic would want to show a poor quality copy. It would be like
handing out a novel with torn pages and crossed out words.

I should add I find this movie REALLY BORING and left after 30 minutes at a
screening at MOMA but I know Oskana loves it.

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Brewer, Michael <
brew...@u.library.arizona.edu> wrote:

> Sounds like a job for Section 108 (borrow a VHS copy, make a VHS copy to
> check out and/or a digital copy to use in-library).
> mb
> On Aug 22, 2011, at 5:42 PM, Shoaf,Judith P wrote:
>
> > A professor here wanted to show this 1924 film to her class but found
> that the library VHS copy had gone missing. She has a copy herself, but it's
> French (Secam, presumably) with French title cards, so only the French
> majors can enjoy it and then only in the lab, where we have a secam player.
> >
> > Facets has dvd/vhs copies to rent, apparently, and they announce a DVD
> for sale "soon." Does anyone know anything about a DVD release, or a source
> for a version with English titles?
> >
> > Judy Shoaf

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant