FYI being in my usual snarky mood, I think that overall the article is bunch
of simple soft lobs that have little to do with the real copyright issues
being fought over by academic institutions and rights holders. I would like
Ms. Aufderheide to provide answers to the following

1. An Academic institution wants to digitize and stream entire feature works
so students assigned them in classes can watch them on their personal
computers wherever they are and are not inconvenienced by having to check
them out, watch them in class or in the library. Is this in fact "Fair Use'
Oh and as a bonus many of the titles are digitized from VHS even though they
are available on DVD also Fair Use?

2. Professor hands librarian a rare film he taped of TV 15 years ago that
has never been released and wants it shown in his class and then left on
reserve and of course transferred to DVD. Fair Use?

3. A university IT head, tells a library to take all material on VHS and
copy it to DVD as  those things are expensive and inconvenient.

4. Similar to #1. A university takes thousands of articles and large
sections (say entire chapters) of books and posts them on line on a password
protected system so students don't have to be bothered going to the library
for them.
Fair Use?

--
Jessica Rosner