I have thought about the ins and outs of treating the item as public domain
though I didn't think of section 108 because I'm just a language lab, not a
library. The first 1/2 hour is in fact available online; last night I watched
about 15 minutes of it and found that viewing it in a small window helps with
the "torn and dirty pages" quality Jessica mentions; also, it has a terrific
performance of the score (by Milhaud) which I presume dates from a postwar
recording/performance (i.e. not PD) and really helps to juice up the strange
rhythms of the film. I am not sure I could make a better digital copy from the
tape, and NTSC VHS from SECAM VHS is not likely to be much good either.

Apparently there was an NTSC copy in the media library, and I think that
probably means it was released in the US at some point. Apparently a prof who
has left UF took it with her and it is now on its way back. I will look to see
whether it's a US release with English subs.

The professor's 80's SECAM copy is probably the best option--I assume it is
based on the restoration/orchestral performance used to make the online video,
but it would be better visual quality.

I think that the professor is likely to agree with Jessica about the film being
boring--she told me she has never watched the whole thing but wanted to use it
for the class because of the subject matter (Paris fashion in the movies). My
impression is that the reason the online project only presents the first half
hour (about 1/5 of the whole film, I gather) is that this is the bit that has
the moderne costumes, sets, and special effects which make the film
"important." (The other interesting thing is the sci-fi/horror themes!)

Jessica, you mentioned a recent restoration, but nobody has said anything about
a DVD release. Does anyone know if it has been picked up for release? Has
anyone seen the restoration--it would be interesting to know how well it
"reads" in terms of the visuals...?

Judy