Thank Gary. I thought so too.

Farhad

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of
ghand...@library.berkeley.edu
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 2:55 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] PPR vs. Fair use question

Hi Farhad

The use you describe requires public performance rights.

Doesn't matter what kind of film you show, whether or not you charge
entrance, or whether the audience is composed of students only or others.
Once you show an entire work outside of the home or outside of
face-to-face teaching (i.e. as part of regularly-scheduled classes)

A fair use application might be, for instance, showing a short clip or two
as part of an extra-curricular program...but showing a whole film in those
contexts require PPR.

gary handman

> Dear all,
>
> I'm sure this has been discussed here before. But I need to refresh my
> memory. If a faculty at a university wants to establish an educational
> group or a club (like a book club) inside his department and the members
> are all students at the university and wants to show films for that group,
> does it fall in fair use category and the films do not need PPR or does it
> constitute a public performance? Does it matter if the films are
> documentaries or feature films? Members of the group are registered for
> that group that works like a course but there is no credit for it. Thanks.
>
> Farhad Moshiri
> Audiovisual Librarian
> University of the Incarnate Word
> San Antonio, TX
>
> ________________________________
> This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential or
> contain privileged information and are intended solely for the use of the
> individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the
> intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this email in
> error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
> this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have
> received this email in error, please immediately delete the email and any
> attachments from your system and notify the sender. Any other use of this
> e-mail is prohibited. Thank you for your compliance.

Director
Media Resources Center
Moffitt Library
UC Berkeley