Helen,
I don't know which places this works, but one place it rarely works is eBay.
Most regular places do in fact take a regular CC
but not all. I work on two films where Paypal is the only credit card option
( both do accept checks and even purchase order numbers).

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant
224-545-3897 (cell)
212-627-1785 (land line)