From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:12 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Case dismissed against UCLA!

I think you need to keep in mind that that section applied only to films sold
with PPR and UCLA was streaming thousands of standard films. The problem is
none of those rights holders got involved. Also I suspect that from now on any
company selling films with PPR will add to their contract that no streaming is
permitted and of course that would supersede any interpretation by this judge
of copyright law.

I want to add a general comment. I was told my oft mentioned copyright
consultant that indeed this case was using the wrong arguments on a number of
fronts. Had for instance Fredrick Wiseman or Universal who ARE the copyright
holders of films streamed by UCLA been a party to the suite it would likely
have ended very differently.
The saddest thing to me is that UCLA and other institutions ( Like say Michigan
in Hathi/Google case in which they just got bitch slapped on claiming "orphan
works" that were anything but) set themselves up as poor little educators
fighting evil corporations when in fact they are the ones the high powered
lawyers and the independent filmmakers are the ones who have few resources to
fight for their rights.
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Susan Albrecht