it is a very common confusion but the fact that an item is available on line
without charge and that you show it without charge actually makes no
difference in terms of copyright law. Any public performance requires
permission of a rights holder. There was a time when
there was in fact a crackdown on places openly showing a TV show for a group
showing ( mostly bars) though that is pretty much been given up on as a
practical matter. If students gather to watch something in the Union they
are indeed supposed to get license, not that they do. Some years ago the NFL
cracked down on groups watching the Superbowl in large gatherings, most were
actually churches.

If for instance you borrowed a film from a library without charge, you can't
just show it to a group without charge. Making something available on line
for individuals to watch does not mean a rights holder has given up the
right to charge for a public showing.

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant
224-545-3897 (cell)