And the thing is, the studios did this all the time when videocassettes
first came out.  The rental stores purchased first - at a cost of $80 or
more for a new feature.  Then, six or eight months down the road, they
put it out for home use - at about $24.95.  That's why when we first
started purchasing videos, we went with creating a classic collection,
while new movies were purchased a year after release.  Why pay all that
money for rental prices when a while down the road, the price would drop
dramatically.  Most people understood that.  Now, I view a DVD with no
extras as a cousin to Reader's Digest condensed books, or a pan & scan
movie versus letterbox.  No extras - I don't want it, and many of our
patrons don't either. If the extras are on the disc, and you don't want
it, fine, you don't have to watch.  But if they aren't there to begin
with, you aren't even being given the option.  And when some discs have
the extras and some don't and you are being forced to purchase the ones
with no extras, isn't that a form of censoring?

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street