This prof primarily uses materials from his personal collection, not so much from ours. He's been teaching this class for at least 10-15 years, and streaming video collections have been available on our campus for only 2-3 years. We have in our hard copy collection a few docs made by a couple of this prof's students. Just about all of the programs are old photos and film footage from various sources with voiceover, all credited. I worked with one of these students after he graduated to produce a Tennessee history video for our collection, and he was well aware of the issues involved in licensing and requesting permission for copyrighted material. In fact, one of the images he most wanted to use was too expensive and came with a very limited time use, so he decided to pursue something else. This prof knows the issues involved in using copyrighted material because he asked me about using clips from the streaming collection, hence my question here.

Our Media Library does not have production equipment available for undergraduate students who also must use our video collection in-house. Graduate students may check out our videos and have a higher-tech computer lab, which is accessed through us, available to them, so it would be possible for them to extract clips from some DVDs, but not VHS. We work closely with the television studio, across the hall, to be sure any excerpting or duplication requested of them by faculty passes the fair use/copyright test - through me. Unless a faculty member circumvents our safeguards by checking out a video and handing it to a student to do with what they want, we assist faculty and students (undergrads through their faculty) with assigned projects, all the while attempting, as best we can, not to put any of us in the cross hairs of a copyright holder's wrath. And so far, so good.
Gail