From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Chris McNevins
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 11:53 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Friday fun question

How about bizarre "winter" weather "anomalies?"

I have many pics from "Snowtober" of downed and iced over trees and power lines
from my backyard in CT!

On the opposite end of the scale-in 1982 Christmas Day in Buffalo was the
warmest on record-a whopping 64 degrees!  (the lowest temperatures occurred 2
years earlier in 1980 when the mercury dipped to minus 10 degrees)

I remember seeing snow flurries in MAY when I worked in the Boston area back in
the late 80s but I can't find any record of it.

And I found this moldy oldie...

1816:The Year without Summer, from: http://www.citysource.com/Seasons/snow.html
Recent winter weather woes in the East can't compare to "winter" weather that
befell the area in June and July of 1816:
Connecticut experienced a rare summer blizzard.
Snow and sleet fell in Danville, Vermont.
Massachusetts had snow flurries.
An unseasonably frigid summer brought crop failures all over New England.
Savannah Georgia has a high temperature of only 46 degrees F on July 4.
Some speculated that Judgement day was near, Others attributed the unusually
cold summer across the country to the massive amounts of dust and ash spewed
into the atmosphere by the eruption of the Tambora volcano in Java the previous
year.

More on this one:
http://www.celebrateboston.com/disasters/year-without-a-summer.htm

Chris McN

Chris McNevins | ACQUISITIONS COORDINATOR
UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT | HOMER BABBIDGE LIBRARY
369 Fairfield Way Unit 2005AM | Storrs, CT 06269-2005 USA
PH: 860-486-3842 | FX: 860-486-6493 | EMAIL:
chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu<mailto:chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu>