From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Borden, Lisa M.
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:24 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Question regarding the purchase of digital streaming rights
for videos

Hello:

If possible, I'd like to get some informal feedback regarding the purchase and
handling of digital streaming rights for videos (i.e.: videos that are not
already included in a subscription video streaming database) that faculty want
to use within their online courses for educational purposes.

Here are some questions for discussion:

1) How many libraries are purchasing or licensing digital streaming rights for
titles already held in their collections - either retrospectively or upon
patron (faculty) request?

2) How many libraries are purchasing or licensing digital streaming rights for
new film title requests (e.g.: purchase the DVDs together with the rights)?

3) How many libraries have a workflow procedure or material
selection/collection development policy in place detailing the library's role
and responsibilities in the selection/purchase process pertaining to digital
rights?

4) How many libraries pay for digital streaming rights via collection
development funds allocated for "firm" orders (e.g.: books/monographs)?

5) How many libraries pay for digital streaming rights via funds allocated
specifically for digital streaming rights?

6) How many libraries have set up servers or allocated server space within the
library to house and provide access to streaming video?

7) How many libraries work in partnership with an instructional or faculty
teaching and support department on their campus - in cases where the library
can't/is unable to house and provide access to streaming video?

Feel free to reply to me on or off list.

Many thanks!

Lisa M. Borden
Serials & Electronic Resources Librarian, Section Head
UTEP Library - Acquisitions
PH: (915) 747-6709
E-Mail: lmbor...@utep.edu