Hi Jared,

I worked at Donnell Media Center, The New York Public Library, for 15 years.
Our open vhs/dvd access collection went from being closed shelf to open shelf,
sometime in the 90's, and our fears were never realized to the extent that we
had feared. 3 big differences, however, between what we did at a public library
and yours, an academic library that appears to be open to the public as
well. The vhs/discs were on shelf, organized into broad categories that
certainly aided both patrons' serendipitous finds and pages shelving (and
clerks and librarians, we all did it together) but 1.) they were in kwikcase
cases http://www.gresscoltd.com/kwikcase/demo/, and 2.) they were barcoded and
3.) they had a what we called targets (big and square shaped; I could find out
for you if interested). Very similar to tattle tape.

It was a bold move, but 10 years ago, we took the vhs out of their kwikcases,
and had them sitting naked on the shelves. Our concerns of theft were not
realized. Yes, a couple went missing, but nothing to set our hair ablaze. Now
mind you, these were all titles in print. We were ever mindful of OP and rare
titles. Also, vhs had already fallen out of favor as a medium. That helped as
well.

We had a PPR reserve collection of vhs and dvds (they may still, though I know
it was heavily and painfully weeded, another story altogether)  that went
woefully unused, due to its inaccessibility and the hoops through which we made
patrons jump (primarily needing to make arrangements to borrow it in advance;
we went from 7 days to 3, but it was still 3 too many). You cannot say enough
about the browsing effect and instant accessibility. It benefits both the
patron and the collection (and by extension, the director of that/those
collections). I think keeping it (closed access collections) inaccessible hurt
circulation stats and ate up a lot of real estate. Now, frankly, I think
putting certain titles on the open shelves BUT thrown (maybe not even all) in
lucite cases might be advisable, but for the most part, if the items can
theoretically be replaced (the real definition of a library v. archive), then
it should be done. But safeguards do need to
 be taken, and are only prudent. Otherwise, you will look irresponsible, and it
will be you, not the administration, who will be blamed ultimately.

So, to sum up. A case for every dvd, and only for certain vhs. (Or just keep
those behind the desk, or for on-site consultation only. That's reasonable,
too, as we all know. OPs should always be protected, and those not available on
dvd.)

Elizabeth McMahon
Formerly of Donnell Media Center
The New York Public Library