Please excuse cross-postings.

I'm writing a handbook on intellectual property issues for digital projects at
libraries, archives, and museums and am asking for your help. People sometimes
ask if there are examples of an institution being sued or asked to take down
copyrighted works. I'm aware of high profile cases like AIME vs. UCLA and the
HathiTrust case, but haven't found any general data on the types of works used
by LAMs that have been challenged, the basis of the challenge, and the final
outcome. What have institutions large and small experienced?

Why not start the new year off with a survey? If your institution has used
copyrighted material in a digital project (or material that you thought was not
under copyright but was challenged), please consider completing the fast survey
at the link below. The survey can be completed anonymously, but if you'd like a
copy of the data an email address is required. For the statistical analysis
it's just as important to capture data on projects that were not challenged as
those that were. It's a fast survey, so please complete one survey per scenario
that you'd like to contribute.

The survey may be completed by libraries, archives, museums, and non-LAM
departments at educational institutions (higher ed and K-12). It will close
January 31. The book will be published late 2012.

Link to the survey:
http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/764804/Use-of-Copyrighted-Works-in-Digital-Projects-at-Libraries-Archives-and-Museums

Please contact me with any questions. Thank you in advance for your help. Happy
New Year!

Best,

Linda Tadic
Audiovisual Archive Network (AVAN)