Alas many of my favorites are not on DVD but there is a good selection of
ones that are. Baby Face is probably the best but a personal favorite of
mine is Skyscraper Souls also it goes across all genres and Goldiggers of
33 is a great pre-code musical, though 42nd Street contains one of the best
pre code lines about Ginger Rogers character "Anytime Annie" in which
another character says "She only said "No" once, and then she didn't hear
the question"

I would try to mix genre, comedies, dramas, musicals. Also at least one
Lubitsch probably Trouble in Paradise or Design for Living but all his
early 30s musicals are very pre code. For an early one I highly recommend
Applause.

There many great ones to choose from but do mix it up and FYI I don't
really consider Wild Boys or Heroes for Sale pre-code films and wrote my
thesis on them. They do contain significant elements but not the best for
the them and Ecstasy realy does not count as I  would not count any non
American film as they were not working under the code.

Now if only Girls About Town were legally available

A lot less than100 Dennis

--
Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant