Just got in and looked at my 43 email messages re the ACRL Best
Practices...my god:  All of this is getting to sound like a room full
drunken Talmudists on a particularly disputatious day.

The constitutional meaning and intent of the Constitution aside, it seems
to me that there are a number of issues which are being completely
overlooked.

I know I've said this repeatedly, but here goes again:

Other than the "effect of the use on the market or potential marke" test,
the law does not make distinctions when it comes to things like market
segment when it comes to applying FU tests/factors...hollywood
blockbusters and tiny, indie documentaries basically get the same litmus
tests

I think, however, that as professionals concerned about the future of
diverse, quality content, the nature of the markets we're dealing with
need to be factored into our thinking about access policies and our
arguments and claims regarding FU.

On one hand, I'm a big advocate of pushing as hard as possible on the fair
use front:  I think what we're doing as librarians and archivists and
teachers is culturally significant, and fair use rights in the service of
our work need to be protected assiduously (especially in these days of
increasingly proprietary, politically connected Big Media).

On the other hand:  going to bat for interpretations of FU that have the
potential of seriously damaging the livelihood of key content providers is
tantamount to shooting ourselves in the foot.  I'm thinking primarily
about indie producers and distributors here. The relationship between
these two communities--content providers and content acquirers--has been
particularly symbiotic over the course of the past 30 years or so.  And,
if you'll pardon the really lousy mixed metaphor, I'm increasingly worried
about throwing the documentary babies out with the fair use bathwater
(ugh!)

(On the other other hand:  I think that indie distributors have brought
some of this on themselves.  The pricing and delivery models currently in
place are frequently out of sync with the current economic state of
libraries and are frequently characterized by an unrealistic sense of the
value and worth of traditional content delivered in new packages)

The ACRL guidelines have been developed in a vacuum:  they're broad,
idealistic, and seem to be largely divorced from the realities of the
media marketplace or the practicalities of building collections and
services in libraries.  As much as I respect these efforts, I think
they're deeply flawed.

Now can we PLEASE talk about something else for a change.

gary handman

Gary Handman
Director
Media Resources Center