Note: Region 1 is US and Canada. A Region 1 DVD in French with no English
subtitles probably was issued in Canada for francophones there. Canadian
French-language releases often do have English (and sometimes also French)
subtitles, so this is a good source for the US. You can use amazon.ca or
archambault.ca but their information about subtitles is often shaky.

Region 2 includes France and to play these disks with *extremely conservative*
legality you need either a computer drive set for the region or a player sold
already preset to Region 2. Hacked players or players (software/hardware) that
get around the encoding may be illegal, according to the last pronouncement (in
2003) http://www.copyright.gov/1201/docs/registers-recommendation.pdf) .
However, so far as I know there has never been any prosecution of vendors,
software or hack instruction distributors, or users of hacks for regional
encoding. It is a pretty gray area.

The Omega vs. Costco Case has however raised a potential copyright problem
which could block the sale of foreign-made DVDs in the U.S. This could include
DVDs made for Canadian release, irrespective of the region. The case allowed a
Swiss watch company to block the resale by unauthorized vendors of a watch with
a *copyrighted decoration* (not a trademark or patent!) in the U.S. In
principle, the copyright owners of Red and the Black could deny the right to
sell the DVD at all to US buyers. However, this is pretty unlikely.

I never heard of the "droit de prêt"-in the US this would be covered by the
Doctrine of First Sale (the very thing challenged by the Costco case) which
allows the purchaser to lend, give away, or resell the item.

Judy