We haven't done a study but I'll describe UConn's experience to you.

Several (5+) years ago we dismantled our media library and put all media
in open stacks. The DVDs have locking cases the VHSs do not. No
significant theft problems in that we are not noticing that we have to
replace copies of popular films. Loan period had been 7 days but just
went to two weeks.

Best,

Jo Ann

Jo Ann Reynolds