From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of
ghand...@library.berkeley.edu
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 11:17 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Good Night and Good Luck

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls

It is with a mix of melancholy, ebullience, slight trepidation, and vast relief
that I announce my forthcoming retirement from the University of California
Berkeley and the Media Resources Center on June 28, 2012.
Today marks my 33rd anniversary with the University, and this year my 36th as a
librarian (a fact which seems more than a little surreal to me).
I’ve been director of the Media Center for about 28 of those years, and there
hasn’t been week, good or bad, that has gone by without my murmuring a little
thanks for the cosmic hiccups that allowed me to stumble into
such a cool and personally rewarding gig.   I simply cannot think of
anywhere that I would have been happier professionally, or another position in
which I would have grown and learned and contributed as much.

In some sense, I feel a bit like Mark Twain, who was born during the fiery
appearance of Halley’s Comet, and who went out with its reappearance, 74 years
later.  I began my career in media in the early 80s, at the dawn of the home
video age (or the “Video Revolution” as it was often hyperbolically called in
the library literature at the time).  I’m bowing out of the business at a time
when the technologies and economics of video production and distribution, and
the video content universe itself are again in a state of radical flux.  Along
with these changes, video collections and service in libraries are also bound
to experience major tremors and evolutionary shifts.  I’m not sure whether I’m
leaving the scene feeling sanguine or pessimistic about this future, but in any
case it’s definitely going to be an interesting and challenging next decade.

I am going to miss all my long-time professional pals profoundly, both those on
the library side and the distributor side of the fence.  I grew up with a
number of you in this field, and along the way you’ve become a kind of extended
workaday family, complete with the obstreperous get-togethers, occasional
bickering, and comforting sympathy.  I’m also heartened by the number of young,
creative, and energetic colleagues who have hopped on board in more recent
times.  Definitely makes me less gloomy about prospects for the future.

Not sure exactly what I’m going to do next:  I’d like to continue teaching film
somewhere on campus or off; I’m up for grabs as a consultant; want to write a
bit; gotta catch up on all the national cinemas I’ve given short-shrift to over
the years; want to log in more gym time; would like to hone my banjo and
ukulele-playing chops; want to get back to freelance cartooning and
illustration.  At very least, I’m aiming at becoming an accomplished and
well-known Berkeley flâneur and café personality.

As for the fate of the UC Berkeley Media Resources Center…  In light of the
dire economic straits into which UC has been shoved, it is almost completely
unlikely that my position will be filled any time soon.  The future of the
redoubtable MRC collection and website remains murky, at best.  I can’t really
think about all of this too much; it’s just too damn depressing to ponder, and
I’ve got other things on my mind. In other words, après moi, le deluge, and
there’s not a damn thing I can do about it.

For the time being, Gisele Tanasse (MLIS), crack MRC Operations Czarina, will
look after the shop.  She has also graciously agreed to keep an administrative
eye on videolib and videonews.  (Note, however, that she’s going out on
maternity leave from May until around the end of September, so you’re pretty
much on your own during that hiatus.  Play nice!).
Gisele’s email is gtana...@library.berkeley.edu.  I’ll be around and wrapping
things up for the next few months.  My civilian email address after June is
going to be garyhand...@gmail.com and I’m also on Facebook.
I’d love to stay in touch (but please don’t contact me about anything having to
do with copyright or fair use).

Best of luck for the future, comrades!  Continue fighting the good fight.
It really has been an honor and a delight working with you all.
Salud!

Director
Media Resources Center
Moffitt Library